Menu Bar

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Wedding Registry. Check.

So there Josh and I were, standing in the middle of Bed, Bath & Beyond, scanner in hand, absolutely clueless.

....let me back up. Last weekend Josh and I decided to tackle the task of setting up our wedding registries. With save-the-dates out and a wedding website up and running, we figured it was about time. I was psyched. Fast forward to 12pm on Friday afternoon and I was clueless. Everyone dreams about decorating their home, or at least we did, so I figured registering was going to be a piece of cake. That was until I realized that no, I didn't know all the benefits of stainless steel vs. non stick, I had no idea how many gadgets there are for your kitchen and that choosing the colors you want in certain rooms beforehand-- kind of imperative. But what I did know was that I wanted a light yellow KitchenAid Mixer. And a panini press. Definitely a panini press. Needless to say-- I thought I was prepared.

After about 3.5 hours in the store, 2 of which were spent with a wonderful wedding registry expert (I doubt that's her official title, but it should be), I discovered we had not been as prepared as I had thought and we left with 90 items scanned out of a recommended 300. Whew. Although I do not consider myself a master of all things wedding registry, I did learn something  a lot of things last weekend, so I thought I'd share my suggestions with you. If you too are clueless, or think you are prepared, take a spin through my list!

  1. When choosing a store to register at, consider somewhere with a representative that will walk you through the main items that you need. Both of the stores we registered at (Bed, Bath & Beyond and Crate & Barrel) had someone guide us through the process as well as the basics that we should register for and it was a HUGE help. Keep in mind, neither of us have had an entire place to call our own, so we need a lot of stuff. If you're a couple that already lives together, you might not be in the same boat.
  2. Pick more than one store! People like options, so give your guests options. Although we did not pick places with too much of a price difference, I would typically recommend picking one reasonably priced store and one that's a little more pricey. You will most likely have guests that want to splurge so why stop them?!
  3. Decide on colors. Josh and I had some colors picked out. We knew what colors we wanted to paint the master bedroom, the kitchen and the basement. That was definitely helpful. However, we did not know what colors we wanted for the other bathrooms, bedrooms, etc, which made it a little difficult to pick out those towels and curtains! I figured we would decide on colors at the store, but it just ended up being overwhelming.
  4. Register for sets. When it comes to pots and pans, you will probably have the option to register for them individually or together as a set. At first, I was thinking individually. Mostly because I know no one who wants to spend $400 on a wedding gift. However, they were SO MUCH cheaper as a set. People can always go in together on a gift and you will get gift cards. 
  5. Pick a store that gives you a discount! Not only do both of our stores give you a discount on all items not purchased on your registry, but Bed, Bath and Beyond also has registry incentives! For certain brands you get a free gift just for putting it on your registry!
  6. Decide on quantities. You will be registering for towels and place settings, which is a lot easier if you know how many you want!
  7. Splurge. After all, these are your wedding gifts. Put what you really want on your registry, even if it's a bit expensive. Guests can always get you gift cards. I would be willing to bet that no one spends $350 on my KitchenAid mixer, but I so want it, so it's there. After the wedding, I'll happily go back with my gift cards and discount and purchase it!
Feeling overwhelmed now? Don't worry-- as overwhelmed as I felt when the scanner was put into Josh's hands, we still had a blast. Because really, what could be more fun than spending a Friday afternoon picking out the items that will make up your new home together?!

P.S. I mention my wonderful fiancé quite a bit, and since I'm the type that likes a face to put to the name, here he is :)




Happy Wednesday!

1 comment:

  1. Great tips! Especially #3 and #7! And what an attractive couple :) -Nora

    ReplyDelete