Menu Bar

Friday, July 20, 2012

Suits vs. Tuxedos

Suits or tuxedos? That is the question.

I have to admit, I never thought that I would even consider suits for a wedding. I was tuxedos all the way. Formal wedding, garden wedding, backyard wedding; if the bridal party was dressing up then I wanted the guys in tuxes!

Now however, after selecting a barn as our wedding venue and looking at tons of pictures of both suits and tuxedos, my opinion has changed. Suits are perfectly acceptable. They are a great alternative for a causal wedding and let's be honest, don't look that much different than a tux. I'm no tuxedo connoisseur, but the main difference I see is the pockets on the jacket, and that's really not a huge deal to me. If you want suits, I say go for it. I'd be willing to bet that some people won't even notice, and those that do won't care. And after all, who really follows proper etiquette on absolutely everything anymore? No one.

Now, if you are having the most formal of formal weddings in a ridiculously elegant ballroom, I'd say stick to the tux. But Josh and I are getting married in a barn and the bridesmaids are wearing cocktail length dresses that are not super duper formal.

In case you are still a little worried that suits are not proper etiquette, a few more pros:

-The cost less to rent/ purchase.
-The little guy's tuxedo rental is usually the same price as the big guy's, so suits will benefit the ring bearer's family too!
-The guys actually have pockets, not those fake pockets (which Josh hates).
-You have a lot more options when it comes to a 3 button jacket (which Josh insists on).
-You can still pair a vest with a suit jacket to get more of a tux feel.
-But, you can also not have a vest and it still looks great! Think colored ties instead.


And here is the screen shot from the suit I found at Men's Warehouse. Really not that different, right?!


Have a great weekend :)


No comments:

Post a Comment