Menu Bar

Monday, April 21, 2014

Happy 1st Anniversary, Josh

Wow. Where has the last year gone?

As some of you may know, yesterday was Josh and I’s first wedding anniversary. I know they say the first year is the hardest, but no one ever told me that it passes in the blink of an eye. It’s extremely hard to believe that at this exact time last year, Josh and I were newlyweds, exploring the aquarium with his family while waiting to head to the airport to fly to the Dominican for our honeymoon.



It’s also hard to believe that I didn’t share a blog post about our wedding last year. I can’t even begin to tell you how many times I sat down to write this blog post last May. I started typing so many times but just couldn’t figure out exactly what to include or how to word things, and then it just felt too late to do it. So, without further ado…

Josh and I were married last year on April 20th, in a lovely barn in Thurmont, Maryland. The weather was about 62 and partly cloudy but the day was absolutely gorgeous. We choose to do a barn wedding because of my love of all things vintage and because, being a Texan, he loved the idea of a barn.

April 20th came and went faster than I could have ever imagined. Leading up to our wedding day, everyone told us that it would fly by. As a matter of fact, I tell my couples that exact same thing. But little did I know, "fly by" doesn't even BEGIN to describe it. Looking back, I remember the day in snapshots.

I woke up that morning surprisingly calm. Very excited, but calm. With every aspect planned and everything officially out of my house, hotel room and hands, I had nothing left to do but enjoy the day. The girls spent the majority of the morning and early afternoon drinking coffee, eating Panera, jumping on beds and getting our hair and make-up done. Josh and I chose to do a first look, so we met at a covered bridge not too far from the barn for pictures.

Doing pictures beforehand was important to me mostly for one reason, I knew I would be extremely anxious if I couldn't see Josh before the ceremony. We also wanted to share that moment together, instead of among 115 people.

The ceremony took place outside, overlooking the hills. It was a little chilly, but a gorgeous ceremony. I could feel my dad and grandparents there, which was a huge blessing.

The reception was inside of the barn, immediately following the ceremony. From a planner’s standpoint, every last detail was perfect, from the way the tables and chairs complimented the dark wood to the gray paper straws, glass bottled sodas and the icing on the cake. We were thrilled the way everything came together and even more thrilled that we were getting married and so many people came to celebrate with us.

My only regret is not extending the reception another hour. By the time our reception ended we just felt like we hadn’t had enough time with everyone! I think about our wedding day often and my favorite memories, aside from the ceremony of course, are just the ones of us all celebrating, dancing and goofing off. There really is nothing like marrying your best friend, and then dancing the night away with the people who have been by your side through it all!

I know I’ve said it before, but thank you again to everyone who made that day so special; to both of our families and to all of our friends.

This past year has been… beautifully crazy. We’ve had some big changes and some challenging moments, but all in all, it’s been wonderful.

For about the billionth time, Happy {day after our} Anniversary Josh!































Photos by Abby Grace Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment